In 1957, a corporation was formed, and over the next two years the group purchased thousands of acres in the valley. Robert Trent Jones was brought in as a designer of the proposed 18-hole championship golf course.
The John Wayne Ranch House served as the Club’s temporary Clubhouse. The golf course was opened for play on November 1, 1960.
In 1963 special televised golf matches were held at the course, featuring Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, Jack Nicklaus, and Mike Souchak.
The airfield was built and dedicated in 1966. The original runway was 2500 feet long and 50 feet wide and was constructed to parallel the main channel of the San Luis Rey River.
The 1980's brought a building boom within the Club grounds, and in 1988 it was decided,after much discussion about financial responsibilities, that the 7.5 acres of Stables land would be better used for home sites.
The Robert Trent Jones Society was founded in 2004 by two Pauma Valley CC members, Dr. Bob Giere and Jack Borchelt. The organization seeks to further the design philosophy and ideas of Mr. Jones among its member clubs.
The Pauma Valley Country Club continues to operate as a private golf and country club, one of America’s most exclusive hideaways that is dedicated to preserving the charm of Old California and the great game of golf.